Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Home

I guess I slowed down quite a bit in the last two weeks.  Dhaka fatigue set in, and the prospect of coming home loomed ever larger and made me less and less interested in what was going on in Bangladesh.

It's not like I didn't have any time.  The last post I made was on the last day of work in Dhaka before the Eid ul Fitr holiday.  Basically, everyone in the Government (and I suppose most businesses) got a week off for Eid.  It's interesting how a very poor country ends up with all these holidays while in the richest country on Earth we get by with very few national days off.  I suppose this is one of the reasons they're so poor.

Anyway, during the Eid holiday I still did some work, but mostly just tried to pass the time somehow.  Difficult when there was no transportation available other than rickshaws; basically, I just spend a lot of time in the hotel or at the BAGHA club.  I did a lot of reading, and watched the entire "Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister" series.

Eventually the office opened again, and I went back to work for two days for some final meetings.  At last, on Saturday the 25th I stepped into a plane and flew away, my first mission over.

Forty-eight hours later, after reuniting with my wife Irina at JFK, I came home to a very enthusiastic welcome from my dogs Luc and Marlie!

It's good to be home!


No comments:

Post a Comment