Friday, July 27, 2012

First month in Dhaka



Here's an entry I posted in Facebook a few days ago:

I've been in Dhaka, Bangladesh, for a whole month now. I still have not eaten any Bengali food. There are lots of Indian-Chinese-Thai-Pizza places (yes, all those foods in the same restaurant), but the only local food I've seen is the stuff they serve close to the office in a rigged-up lean-to set up against a wall on a small street (well, they're mostly all small...). To watch how they wash the dishes at that place (on the street, dunked in a bucket of brownish-yellow water) is enough to deal with your appetite. And by the way, there is not much more than that in the way of eating establishments close to the office. So I skip lunch now.


Inside Lalbagh Fort in Dhaka, Bangladesh

2 comments:

  1. OK so I figured the 9th largest city in the world, with a population of 16 million, *must* have some brewpubs, so I googled..

    0 results. :-(

    But, remembering Prague, Ulanbaatar, and every other city in the world I've ever been to, I googled for Irish Pubs, and found this:

    0 results :-(

    Then I realised it's worse than Utah (used to be) - Alcohol is restricted by the Government!

    Sigh.

    I guess that's why the Bagha club is a club.. (Does Baghi hang out there?!)

    j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muslims in Bangladesh are forbidden to buy or consume alcohol, so it is available for sale only in certain foreigners-only warehouses (you have to show your passport to get in) and in some hotels, restaurants, and clubs frequented by foreigners. Much more restrictive than even Utah ever was. Bars as such don't really exist here, hence the dearth of Irish Pubs, though one would think that some hotel would have one. It's possible, but I haven't seen that in the major international hotels here that I've been to. Anyway, the only Guinness they seem to have is the bottled kind, brewed in Singapore, which isn't really all that good (not anything like the pub draught cans or bottles we get in the States).

    In fact, there doesn't appear to be any draught beer anywhere in the country! Definitely not a place for a pub crawl!

    ReplyDelete